Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Day

Greetings form Wyoming on this Thanksgiving day.
The turkey has been primed and is roasting, the other sundries that go with the meal are awaiting their turn on the flame. This is but a short respite until I have to go back to the labor , that is this holiday. The smells at the moment wafting thought the homestead here , bring back memories of my childhood and my life. Having grown up in Northern New England , both in NH, and Mass, my family has always had what would be considered a traditional Thanksgiving from that area, I have been blessed with being able to celebrate 47 Thanksgivings to date and only but a few of them was i not able to spend the day with those that mean the most to me, due to military service. Around here , usually the meal is a traditional new england affair , and as of late, and meaning by popular vote, I have been chosen to cook the days meal and coordinate the feeding of the clan , here where i have moved, this is not to say, that others do not work along side me, but for the most part , its a family affair, where everyone doers something even if its just being here to enjoy the day.
Today , particularly right now , I'm reflective on exactly what , i have to be thankful for , and in today's climate of uncertainty, and apprehensiveness, about the future, something i usually took for granted while helping my grandma in the kitchen when i was but a nubbin, now i am in the kitchen , toiling as did she and my mother and father did , to make this day at least a bit more memorable for my children and now grandchild. I think about what this day really means to me, of course the usual thankfulness of health and the fact that we will close out another yr together with no major accidents illnesses , or disagreements comes to mind.
I'm also thankful that , my children are able to think and see for themselves what they need to, being this is my grandchild's second , Tday , but the first she will probably remember, i await the marvel she will show and the anticipation of teaching her , what is this family's traditions , for that i am thankful.
I have to also say i am thankful for being able to say i am a free citizen, with all the responsibilities that come with it, i am thankful for living in a nation, where my beliefs and traditions can be practiced , I'm thankful for the many men and women that serve and sacrifice this day in whatever capacity to ensure that we can all enjoy this day.This list can go on and on , because , we can all be thankful for every little blessing , seen and unseen, to us, some we see outright , some go unnoticed or taken for granted, some are more personal , some are more civic oriented, in the end , today , as id the tradition of my clan, i give thanks , and try to think of all the reasons why i am thankful, and resolve to always try and work towards having reasons to be so.
With this, i extend , my warmest holiday wishes to all, and hope that today brings everyone something to be thankful for.
To all , may you have a bountiful and joyous Thanksgiving.

No comments: